The Shaikh Ebrahim bin Mohammed Al Khalifa Center for Culture and Research is pleased to announce the next step of our current photography project DO YOU TRUST ME?, a collaboration with the Goethe-Institut Gulf Region. Photography programs like DO YOU TRUST ME? aim to develop and support talented photographers in Bahrain through seminars, workshops and exhibitions.
Photographers are invited to submit their photography projects on the theme DO YOU TRUST ME? From the pool of submissions, selected artists will be invited to show their works in an exhibition at the Bin Matar House.
OPEN CALL information session: Saturday, 28 January 2017, 4pm (Bin Matar House)
Submission deadline: Tuesday, 28 February 2017
For details on timing and submissions, please review the details below. All submissions and any questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why DO YOU TRUST ME?
Do you believe all the photos you see? Why? Why not? For many decades photography has been used as proof, but increasingly more people are starting to doubt what they see. We believe this is an interesting concept to explore, and we hope you do too.
What does that mean?
It means asking if you trust the photo that you are looking at. Do you trust the context that it is being shown in? Do you trust the paper it is printed on, or the screen you are seeing it on? Do you believe it to be real, or do you think what you are seeing is fake? Do you trust the information or caption that is with the photograph? Do you trust the data or code that allows you to view the photo? Do you trust yourself to tell a story?
DO YOU TRUST ME? invites photographers to explore and play with these questions.
How should I approach the theme?
A talk will be given at the Bin Matar House on Saturday January 28th at 4pm on ways you may like to approach the theme.
Selected entries will be exhibited at the Bin Matar House in April 2017. On average 1,500 people visit the Shaikh Ebrahim Center every month. The opening will be attended by arts and culture professionals from Bahrain and the GCC.
Who will curate the exhibition?
The exhibition will be curated by Melissa Enders-Bhatia, Head of Art and Exhibitions at the Shaikh Ebrahim Center.
- Theme: “DO YOU TRUST ME?”
- Applicants can submit between 5-10 images, which should form part of a series.
- Each project should be accompanied by a project statement statement (200 words).
- Submissions should be accompanied by a brief resume (100 words).
- Image submission specifications: 72dpi, JPG format, no longer than 25cm on the longer side.
Images should be labeled with the artist’s name, project title and date.
- Applicants should be GCC nationals or residents.
- Submission deadline: 28 February 2017.
- Applicants will be notified within two weeks of this date.
- All submissions should be sent to:
- The exhibition is scheduled to open on Sunday, April 9th, and will be on view until May 9th.
- Selected applicants will be responsible for the cost of printing and framing their works.
- All participants will deliver their works to the Bin Matar House by a yet to be specified date.
- The exhibition will be accompanied by an extensive brochure and participants should be prepared to submit high resolution images and any required texts for this purpose.